Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day-to-Day: Snowy Ride


Last weekend spur of the moment I ended up going home for the weekend again. This was wonderfully helpful to my own thesis work to visit again but the reason for going was different initially.

We knew there was going to be snow last weekend and that my dad was going to Yakima in a one day haul to work on a job out there. Mom and I didn't want him going over the pass in that weather so we tried to get him to agree to come get me for the weekend rather than go to Yakima. In my dad's language this translated to getting me on the way back up from Yakima. It isn't really on the way since it's practically an equilateral triangle between all three places.

He showed up at my place with bloodshot eyes and had been driving with his left leg for the last bit of the way there because his right was so tired. Ironically my mom's and my attempt to keep him safe lead to the worst driving conditions he had ever been in taking the pass over to Portland. There were at least three cars flipped and jackknifed semis.

I had to drive his big truck for the last leg back up to Washington. That was agreed upon earlier. I am not use to driving the truck so we hit snow and traffic that had us at pretty much a dead stop for two hours. It was very draining but I was glad to get home for that weekend and glad about all I got done up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment